If you are a coffee aficionado, you will agree that coffee makes life better. But have you ever wondered what makes coffee better? Well, it’s the method of roasting that defines the taste of coffee.
There was a time when the beans were roasted in an oven on a regular baking sheet. A far cry from those days, today coffee roasters have taken centre stage. Drum roasters are among the most popular coffee roasters used to achieve flavour-intensive, evenly roasted coffee.
So, what is a drum roaster?
As the name suggests, a drum roaster is a coffee roasting machine with a specially designed cylinder-shaped chamber used to make roasted coffee. This chamber, known as a drum, is where the coffee beans are placed, set to a temperature, and rotated until the beans crack. To create your perfect coffee roast, you can experiment with several factors, such as drum speed, temperature, airflow, length of roast, and more.
These days, you can get high-quality drum coffee roasters to give a boost to your coffee drinking habit.
Let’s take a look at two popular drum coffee roasters, Probat and Aillio, and try to find out which one suits you better.
Features and Functions
Probat and Aillio are trusted names for roasted coffee and are considered among the top coffee roasters.
Features and Functions of the Probat
- Allows total control of the roasting process since the heating system can be infinitely adjusted.
- Allows simultaneous roasting and cooling.
- Comes with digital time and temperature display for straightforward operation.
- Has a unique shovel mechanism for best-possible mixing.
- Infinitely adjustable heating results in stable roasting profiles.
- Comes with a separate cyclone ensuring a high degree of separation. Two roasters can be connected to a single cyclone.
- Runs on a single motor having direct drives.
- Option for varying drum speed and airflow to ensure better profile accuracy on larger as well as smaller batches.
- Sidewalls are removable for simplified servicing.
- Hand crank that helps in emptying the roaster if a power outage occurs.
- Allows easy emptying of the bin for chaff.
Features and Functions of the Aillio
- Energy-efficient roaster unit that uses induction heat.
- Comes with an LCD control panel that provides accurate data related to temperature and the roasting process.
- Infrared roast profiling that results in accurate temperature and stability.
- It can be connected to a laptop.
- Comes with a roast profiling and management software.
- Roast details can be digitally recorded and saved on a laptop for real-time visibility.
- Plugs into any standard wall power socket.
Size and Density
The Probat Sample Roaster is built to support a batch capacity of 200g coffee beans. On the other hand, the Aillio Roaster is designed to roast 1 kg coffee beans.
The Probat Roaster has a roasting time that lies between 10 to 15 minutes, and the first crack appears at 7 to 8 minutes. The Aillio Roaster can make the first crack appear in 1 kg beans in under 12 minutes.
Ease of Use
Since the Probat Roaster comes with few controllable variables, it becomes easy to decide on a roast profile. The Aillio Roaster has an easy interface that allows you to control several variables during the roasting process, such as heating power, drum speed, and fan speed.
The roaster allows you to take a sample mid-roast. You can also get a glimpse of the beans through the glass.
Quality of Coffee Roasts
The Probat roaster results in an unexceptional flavour of the coffee. The end product of roasted coffee in Aillio roaster is also delicious and flavour-rich.
The Probat and Aillio are both exceptional drum roasters that can offer you a treat of flavourful coffee with roasted coffee beans. While the Probat is simple to use, the Aillio offers more scope for experimentation.
Fun and interesting coffee facts to jumpstart your day
All the caffeine lovers would agree that coffee has the power to uplift your mood for the entire day. From…
5 best types of coffee to wake you up in the morning
Whether it is coffee or tea, we all love our morning jolt of caffeine. For coffee lovers, this cup is…
How to make espresso coffee with the espresso machine?
Having a good espresso machine is vital to make an excellent cup of coffee. Considering the widely renowned love for…
How to Use a Coffee Bean Roaster?
Before the coffee hits the shelves for consumption, another segment that directly influences its final outcome is the way it…
Reliable Coffee Roasting Machines
Whether you’re looking to upgrade your roasting equipment, you’re a cafe owner who wants to start roasting coffee in-house, or…
Best Coffee Art design: Latte Art
A good latte art isn’t just about a pretty looking beverage, it’s about the flavour balance between the milk foam…